MBC (Maytag Blue Cheese) COLESLAW
If you like blue cheese, you will love this coleslaw. It is tangy and very addictive. I serve this whenever I make Fried Chicken or BBQ Ribs and is always a crowd pleaser.
- 1/3 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Mayonnaise (Hellman’s)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Magic Seasoning (Paul Prudhomme)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 ½ TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 4 ounces Maytag Blue Cheese (or other artisanal blue cheese such as Point Reyes, Cave Creek or Rogue Cellars)
- 4 ounces Danish Blue Cheese
- 4 cups White Cabbage, cored & chopped (1/2 large cabbage)
- 2 cups Red Cabbage, cored & chopped (1/4 large cabbage)
- 1 cup Grated Carrots (2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup Flat Parsley, chopped (1/2 bunch)
- 1/2 cup Scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 bunch)
- 1 1/2 cups Dressing
Place the sugar and vinegar in a blender or Vitamix and process on low for 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the cheeses, and process on medium-high until well blended and smooth. It will be fairly thin.
Add 2 ounces of each cheese to the blender and process on medium to blend.
Cut the remaining cheese into ¼ inch cubes and fold into the dressing with a rubber spatula.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1 cup of dressing. If it seems dry, add a bit more dressing.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- The dressing will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Make sure to stir it well before using, as the vinegar may separate a bit.
- The coleslaw is best if tossed just before serving.
- I find adding half of the cheese to the dressing thickens it a bit and gives a better consistency for folding in the remaining cubes of cheese.
- Leftover coleslaw will keep for a day or so in the fridge, but I find it really loses it's flavor after the second day so it's best to make it in smaller batches if you're not feeding a crowd.